Info Sessions - Late October / Early November 2016
The Info Sessions provide a motivational framework, discussing innovation in the biotech and health industry. As a substantial fraction of the participants will come from a scientific background. Info Sessions will give an overview of the BioStars programme and provides the opportunity to network with the BioStars team and our collaborators. The evening also includes a panel discussion featuring leading academics, entrepreneurs, and investors.
Info Sessions will be held as following:
- OXFORD, 24th October h18:00 - 21:00, at Trinity College, Oxford University, Broad St, Oxford OX1 3BH - Biotech startups: trends, opportunities and challenges
- LONDON, 27th October h18:00 - 21:00, at the UCL School of Pharmacy, 29-39 Brunswick Square, London WC1N 1AX - The good, the bad and the ugly of biotech startups
- MANCHESTER, 9th November h15:00 - 18:00, at the University Place, 176 Oxford Rd, Manchester M13 9QQ - From science to startup; the roadmap for success
MatchMaker networking events - Late November 2016
These agenda-free events, scheduled ad hoc prior to the BioStars application deadline, will serve as ideal opportunities to meet new potential collaborators and partners, BioStars alumni and mentors, as well as to ask the Panacea Innovation team anything about the BioStars programme and the application procedure.
MatchMakers will be held as following:
- CAMBRIDGE, 29th November h18:00 - 20:30, at The Eagle pub, 8 Benet Street Cambridge CB2 3QN --to register, click HERE
- OXFORD, 30th November h18:00 - 20:30, at King's Arms pub, 40 Holywell St Oxford OX1 3SP --to register, click HERE
- LONDON, 1st December h18:00 - 20:30, at the Eastside Restaurant and Bar @ Imperial College, IC South Kensington campus Exhibition Road London SW7 2AZ --to register click HERE
APPLICATION DEADLINE for the BioStars 2017 intake: Wednesday 7th December 2016
WORKSHOP I: LEAD MENTORS - 21st January 2017 @ University of Oxford
During the first workshop, the teams selected based on their applications meet with their Lead Mentors (Scientific and Business Development) for the first time face to face to discuss different aspects of the business drafts. Discussion with the mentors continue until the final submission of the business plans. Networking breaks are scheduled.
WORKSHOP II: SPECIALIST MENTORS - 11th February 2017 @ University of Oxford
The second workshop gives the teams the opportunity to work more comprehensively on their business plan drafts along with Specialist Mentors (Legal and Investment). Discussions with these mentors will also continue until the final submission of the business plans as well. The workshop is complemented by presentations and a discussion round featuring recent successful biotech start-ups. There are also networking breaks with representatives from the BioStars sponsors.
Pitching practice and business plan submission - 4th March 2017 @ University of Oxford
GRAND FINALE - March/April 2017
The winners of the 2015-2016 BioStars business plan competition were announced at a gala dinner hosted at the Deneke DIning Hall, Lady Margaret Hall, one of Oxford University’s spectacular dining halls. Each of the 15 shortlisted teams presented a short pitch, and the final decision was made by the BioStars judging panel, composed of:
- Paul-Peter Tak (Senior Vice President R&D, GSK)
- Graeme Martin (President and CEO, Takeda Ventures)
- Harm-Jan Borgeld (Head Alliance Management, Global Business Development, Merck)
- Andrea Mica (Managing Partner, Oxford Technologies)
- Ruth Mckernan (CEO, Innovate UK)
- Erik Nordkamp (Director and Head of Global Innovative Pharmaceutical business, Pfizer)
- Mina Bekheet (Founder and President, Panacea Innovation)
The 2016/2017 BioStars finale will be in March/April 2017 in Oxford.